Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

2009 CLS550 P1 with Airmatic issues (go figure!) - Pump runs

Customer Question

2009 CLS550 P1 with Airmatic issues (go figure!)
- Pump runs after car turned off
- Made "clunking" sound in front as susp tried to adjust
- Trying to decide if to
a. Replace relay (if I can figure out which one it is)
b. Replace pump
c. Replace struts
d. All of the above
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WTF???? You lure me in pretending you're live help and prepared to answer my question! I pay then it says it will be 8 minutes! NOW ITS BEEN AN HOUR AND NOTHING!!! I have to make very expensive decisions here and I thought I'd pay to get some advice here. YOU'RE NOT HELPING!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Usually this type of fault here is caused by a fault with one or more of the air matic shocks/struts themseves.It can be that one is leaking slowly or slightly causing the pump to run to try and level out the vehicle.If the vehicle dips or lowers at all at any point when sitting and takes a bit to raise back up usually this is the cause with these needing inspected for leaks and the affected component leaking replaced.

The other issue is a faulty reading level sensor to where a level sensor is sending a false vehicle level signal to the air matic ecu and the ecu is trying to get the pump to correct the level even though the level of the vehicle is o.k.

The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set.Then once this is done any codes set in the air matic system will need diagnosed to help locate and repair this fault here.

I suspect a strut/shock issue or a level sensor issue here needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete