Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

On my 2006 Mercedes R350, 133k miles. Driving on the ghway

Customer Question

On my 2006 Mercedes R350, 133k miles. Driving on the highway avg 80mph for hours no problem, then all of a sudden the check engine light flashes 4 times (I think) and engine starts to misfire. I pull over, stop engine restart, all is fine now, check engine
light off, no misfire. I get on highway again about 4 hours into it, same exact thing, stop engine restart, no more misfire but this time check engine stays on. I check with generic OBD reader: P0300 P0301 P0304. I think the first one is a general misfire,
the others are misfire in cylinder 1 and 4. I can't emagine that two coils, spark plugs or cables are going out at exactly the same time. FYI, I have three other codes that have been coming and going: p2006, p0016, p0017 - I think those are related to the
intake manifold but seems ok. thanks, Sergio
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sergio. You have a problem with the balance shaft and timing chain. The p0016 and p0017 are the codes that tell me that. Mercedes have had this issue for years. Your is at the point it will randomly misfire it seems. The first thing that needs to be addressed is the balance shaft needs checked. There's no sense in chasing a random misfire if you have balance shaft codes. This repair is not easy and should be done at a shop or dealer. The engine needs to come out and be disassembled in order to be repaired. And it's very easy to mess up so someone with experience in the repair should be the one to do it. Hope this information helps. Let me know if this seems helpful. It's not the nicest answer I know but the engine is very technical and failures are expensive you can expect to spend 3-5k$ depending on the shop. Hope this information helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.