Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 23 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Driving S500 06, grinding noise when making rt or left turns

Customer Question

Driving S500 06, grinding noise when making rt or left turns or u-turns. Sounds like it's from the front end
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both drive shafts front and back have been changed, differential is new or recently rebuilt. What would it be that rubs or grinds when turning? Been in and out of shop for 5weeks
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd say the most likley reason is a failed or failing wheel bearing as these are loaded up when cornering , if you jack the car up so the wheels are off the ground and try wiggling the wheel from top to bottom and from side to side there should be no slack in either direction

if this checks out then check the condition of the brake pads for excessive wear and / or binding up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You most likely the bearing, what is the other things possible!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been told bearing make noise when ever used.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

for it to rub and produce a noise then it must be the result of two surfaces touching, hence my thoughts about it being the wheel bearing or possibly the brakes binding up - hence my suggestion of inspecting the brake pads for excessive wear

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.