Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a 2000 year CL500. I really love the styling and the

Customer Question

I have a 2000 year CL500. I really love the styling and the ride and the over look and feel of the car. But problems both electrical and power steering, etc are starting to happen. My car has 77,000 miles, not that much, but estimated repairs might well
cost over $4,500. YUK. So if I upgrade to a 2005 or 2006 am I gaining anything? Yes, I will get that beautiful 2 door coupe design ( a classic ) but what might be in store for with a later model. I wish I could afford the newer 2007 coupe but I am afraid that
since it is a new model that it might be fraught with all kinds of production kinks. If my assumption is correct on the 2007, then what year next is a better bet to look at and consider. ***** *****sdale, AZ
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

That is unfortunate to hear about the repair costs on the vehicle you have now.Unfortunately all cars can have their own problems over time and even owning the 05 to 07 at some point you may run into the same issues or even more issues as there are more electronics in the newer models then the 00 model.Electronic failure seems to be the most common issue on these vehicles over mechanical issues.They are all good years and good vehicles but can develop issues over time.This isnt saying that this will happen if you purchase a newer model but is possible and repair cost may be higher in some areas.

On the newer models there seems to be more issues with the transmission valve body and electronics such as radio or telematics faults.

If you do purchase a newer model it is best to have it inspected including having the fault codes checked in all computers to see what codes may be set before purchasing another model to make sure it is o.k.

What I have always done in the past is to purchase the last year model design that way you know all of the kinks have been worked out of the vehicle compared to the first year of that design.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete