Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

I BOUGHT A 1995 MERCEDEZ BENS S600 LOOKS LIKE A DIPLOMATS

Customer Question

I BOUGHT A 1995 MERCEDEZ BENS S600 LOOKS LIKE A DIPLOMATS CAR HOW DO I FIND OUT ?
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE RAN THE VIN THRU THE FREE CHECK YOUR VIN # ***** THEY ARE NOT TELLING ME ANYTHING I DON'T ALREADY KNOW.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Tracing car ownership isn’t easy to do because of a federal law that went into effect in September 1997. The Drivers Privacy Protection Act prohibits state motor vehicle departments from giving records to individuals.

This means it is nearly impossible for a normal owner to do on their own, sometimes a commercial establishment such as a car dealer can locate this info but other than that the registered owners are through the dmv which is governed by that law which means that they are not allowed to release that info short of a court order per say. In some cases you can get an dmv to verify an owners name but that is by you providing the name to them first and only checking if it matches the previous owner of the vehicle, they will not otherwise provide info to you such as names or addresses.

Sometimes one can search the vehicle and find info such as in a trunk, under a rear/front seat or by locating behind a glovebox or dash where paperwork often falls and sometimes one can be lucky and find previous owner info.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.