Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Wow ... OK, I have a 2000 model CLK320 Cab. Ignition key is

Customer Question

Wow ... OK, Hi Paul
I have a 2000 model CLK320 Cab.
Ignition key is causing problems ... sometimes the car starts sometimes not, and when the car has started and i'm driving, I need to wiggle the key in the ignition for the indicators to work, same with operating the soft top ...
Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** does not sound like a bad key this sounds like a bad electronic ignition switch. I believe that you have a faulty contact in the switch. If the car also cranks but does not start on occasion the problem could also be the ignition switch or it could be caused by a faulty crankshaft position sensor. When the sensor malfunctions it will cause a crank/no start condition. The problem usually occurs when the engine is hot. I'd suggest replacing the ignition switch and see if it solves both problems.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Marty.If I replace the ignition switch .. I will hunt for one on EBay .. what should I be looking out for in terms of the ignition switch being compatible with my car?I'm guessing that with the security codes etc etc it's not a 'One size fits all" job!
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

A used ignition switch will not work. You will need to have the switched replaced at a Mercedes dealer and have the switch programmed to the vehicle. An alternative would be to purchase a complete used set of an ignition switch with keys, steering lock and engine control module from the same vehicle.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Was my answer helpful?