Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I cannot get the hard top off my 1986 560SL. The covers that

Customer Question

I cannot get the hard top off my 1986 560SL. The covers that remove the side of the top keep falling off. The front of the top will not come out of the holes. I am not sure if the rear hook released because I can't get the other hooks to release. Also I only have one lever to use as someone must have borrowed my second one. Please help.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

If the rear ones released and the front have not, this can cause stress on the front ones and prevent their releasing. relock the other locking pins, have 2 people to push down on either side of the hardtop while you release the front locks - this will usually do the trick. Sometimes you have to tap with roof over the area of the front locks with the palm of your hand to help pop them free.