Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

Marty, When the trunk lid opens to put top up or down on my

Customer Question

Marty, When the trunk lid opens to put top up or down on my 2003 500SL, the lid opens way too fast. It opens with a bang. I've replaced the right side strut and the left side hydraulic drive cylinder. Any suggestions? The large bracket at rear of trunk that the strut & drive cylinder are attached to was out of wack & the trunk lid would not shut property. I replaced that large bracket as well. I will fill in the other blanks for you now.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Other than the lid opening too fast, any other issues with the lid or the convertible top.

And I will need the last 8 of the vin number to pull any needed schematics.

Please remember that I am not there and therefore rely on you to provide as much detail as possible and may on occasion need to ask for more information

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN #WDBSK75F73F008394I replaced the "Trunk Lid Drive Cylinder - Left Side.
Replaced right side "strut."
Replaced the large brace or bracket that the drive cylinder and strut are attached to.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

For some reason I dont have the convertible schematics so I will opt out to see if another expert does

Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Have you had it scanned for codes? Does the top open and close completely without stopping or putting a message on the driver info center? If the top does open and close with the exception of the noise you are hearing, then you are going to have to adust whatever piece you were talking about that was out of wack, I just went through this same problem the lid on mine would close to fast, come to find out the top had blew up while driving, I found this out after spending days believing I had some type of electrical or programming error. We adjusted on the frame until it worked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reggie,Top opens and closes fine...with no messages on the driver info center. It just opens to fast. It starts out fairly slow...then finishes with a bang.

Okay thank you for that information, One thing I would do if I were you is lubricate real good all the hinge points and bushings that operate the top, I have had cases were they would dry out and get tight and when the top got to that point it would bind. The pump that runs the system does not vary its pressure it just changes channels so any binding or slowing is usually mechanical. You can stop the top at various points and gain access to the cylinders and arms of top. One thing that may be helpful is to operate the top manually and feel its operation as you are opening and closing it. Are you familiar with this operation. It is in your owners manual