Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

How can I partially open the convertible top on a clk350

Customer Question

How can I partially open the convertible top on a clk350 long enough to repair an unglued edge without the top automatically closing?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What I have done in the past and usually this has to be done a few times during the repair is open it up to the point where it is partially open and holding then turn off the key and it will hold like this for a little time.It may slowly creep to a closed or opened position then you would need to either support it from closing or opening all of the way or repeat the steps with the key on open it partially to a point it holds (usually half way open) then turn off the key.The hydraulics will slowly relax and allow it to close or open when the key is off making it difficult to repair anything but with the key on the electronics usually cause it to open or close on its own after a short period of time.I have had some success with half way opening it and supporting it then doing the repair.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I understand right, turn the key off but do not remove it and brace the top to keep it from moving. When I tried removing the key I got a constant warning beep about the top being open.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This is what I have done in the past myself when doing top repairs.In some cases the warning will occur to let you know the top is open and may stop after a bit or may continue to beep.You can try and remove the key as well to see if the beeping then stops shortly after it is removed.I dont see any other procedure myself on keeping this open to do any repair work.

Thanks Pete