Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

09 MB C300,80k miles... Apparently I have encountered same

Customer Question

09 MB C300,80k miles... Apparently I have encountered same problem as many others in regards ***** ***** not starting.... Have two keys, one much newer than original so probability of both going bad at same time is low. Have checked fuses. Disconnected battery to possibly "reset" system ( battery is good). Like everyone else, keys unlock car and that's about it other than dome light and door marker lights.... All else dead. Steering locked and trans locked however can manually unlock .... ????
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m not sure what your question is. Do you want some ideas as to the cause of the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thought I stated problem in first part of my original question.... Car won't start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not battery.... Checked all fuses listed in owners manual pertaining to ignition.... They're good. Have two keys....one much newer than one that came with the car so highly unlikely that both went bad at exact same time....so now I'm stumped basically as to what the problem is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also....I've noticed thru several forums that this is apparently a common issue with this make/model
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

The problem is going to be a bad steering lock or a bad ignition switch. You need to get the car connected to the Mercedes Star Diagnosis tester to determine which one has failed. Since you can still unlock the car the problem is most likely going to be the steering lock.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ugh! Was hoping that wasn't the case here as that is an "effin" expensive fix
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately so.