Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Hauto. My 2008 GL450 has a persistent leaning problem

Customer Question

Hi Hauto. My 2008 GL450 has a persistent leaning problem
Everything has been replaced and the problem is still there. Is this an engineering flaw in the vehicle that cannot be fixed?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Ok, you state they have claimed to have repaired it, but you have your doubts. So have you gotten the vehicle back and put it on perfectly level ground and measured the height to see if it is actually still leaning or not?

If so, where is it leaning - front left, front right, rear left or rear right?

How long has this been an issue

Also, I need the last 8 of the vin number to check for any related service bulletins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric. I got it back nothing is changed. On a level surface it is one inch lower on the left front and back then the right ride (measuring top of the wheel to fender). They said all looks fine so we manually manipulated the leveling sensors and got it to within a quarter of an inch. ? I drove it home and put it on milt pile different flat surfaces and it's one inch. It is visible to the eye. It's been going on about two years. The vehicle had front air bags and shocks I believe replaced. When it was under warranty the front fender sagged to the wheel and the replaced a bunch on the front end of the car related to suspension. Two weeks ago rear springs replaced. Two weeks ago they also lubricator the front sensing bars (inside the wheel well they thought one might be sticking). VIN is 4JGBF71E88A399283. Love everything else about this car hope it can be resolved. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, can you check your receipts to see if the suspension control module was ever replaced. I cant do it until tomorrow, but I will place a call to MB tech support in Germany and see what I can find out on this as there are not any service bulletins out for a sag on one side. There was a recall on the pump, which is likely what was replace back when it was under warranty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, ok. I'll call the dealer tomorrow to go through the service records to see if this pump was replaced. I don't have the records here but they have them all.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, sounds good and I will talk with you tomorrow after I speak with tech support

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric I ll know by Wednesday if the module was replaced and the car goes back into the dealer Tuesday for their planned second attempt at manually adjusting the sensor
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, I talked with tech support and they need to know what has been done, so when you get that information, I will relay it to them and go from there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric, the dealer is saying they are a leak in the rear leaf spring air bag. These were replaced in August 2015. I'm getting a picture of the soapy water bubbles showing the leak and will go back to the shop that replaced these and they ll redo it. The shop is skeptical that the dealer diagnosed this correctly. Can we suspend this question to you for a few weeks to see if the shop resolves it by replacing the rear lead spring air bag leaking? To answer your question the suspension control module has not been replaced.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, no problem. To leave this open so you can reply back, just dont reply to this post. That leaves it open indefinitely for you to reply back to