Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Would like a Mercedes Dealer tech, please. I have a 2011

Customer Question

Would like a Mercedes Dealer tech, please. I have a 2011 E350 4Matic and I would like the correct fluid type, required amount for refill during a service, and the correct procedure for refill. Its a 40K mile trans service. I do have access to trans internal
temp through my scanner. Also, the area around the module on the side of the trans is a little wet towards the back. Is this something simple that I should take care of while the trans is being serviced, or does the trans have to come out of the car, or can
I just ignore it because its only very slight. In addition, I have a picture of the inside of the pan, which has some sediment in it that I would like a brief evaluation of.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, you should only use the Mercedes fluid when servicing the transmission. The transmission has either red or blue fluid. The red fluid is part number 001 989 68 03 13 and the blue fluid is 001 989 78 03 09. You will need between 5 and 6 liters when refilling. Click on the procedure below. A small amount of sediment is normal. Ideally there should be no black soot when you wipe the pan with your finger. If you would like to upload a picture I'll take a look at the sediment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marty,
Thanks for your response. However I am still not understanding a few key points. According to the procedure you sent, if you have a white overflow tube you cap off the drain at 45 degrees, and if you have a black overflow tube, you cap it off at 35 degrees. The one I have is green. What temperature do I use? Also, what is the correct fluid for my trans, you said red or blue but that is my question, which one do I use, red or blue? The fluid that came out is clearish black, not sure what it started out as. Any comment on that leaky module on the side of the trans? Please answer. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marty? where are you! The customer is gone and I had to improvise, so I picked 40 degrees. I hope I didnt screw up the trans. please dont take my question off the table if you cant answer it!
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, sorry for the wait. I got busy in the shop and didn't see that you replied to me. If the vehicle production date is prior to 06/21/2010 use the red fluid. After that date use the blue fluid. I've attached the document for identifying the transmission pan. You should have the newer style pan. Check the fluid at 45°C. You should be fine at 40°C. I'm not sure which module you are referring to. If it's the selector module on the left side of the transmission there is a seal behind the module that is replaceable.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Click on the link below.