sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 2012 glk350 is stuck in park and all the warning lights

Customer Question

my 2012 glk350 is stuck in park and all the warning lights come on saying that everything is inoperative. I've had it into the mechanic twice which have both replaced parts that did not fix the problem.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I you're seeing multiple warning lights and/or warnings at the same time then you most likely either have a communication bus problem or multiple modules are losing power or ground at the same time. A power distribution or wiring issue could be causing multiple modules to not wake up If it's a communication issue it could be wiring or an internal failure in a module shorting the bus network to power or ground.

What warnings/lights are you seeing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a detailed description. I don't know if it's just coincidence, but it seems to happen when it's cold and rainy (currently in mid 40's Oregon drizzle). This is probably the fifth time this has happened. It seems to fix itself over time (a few days or so). I have had it into two separate mechanics who thought they had fixed it by replacing the pre-fuse (first attempt) and some relays (second attempt). I just got it back from a mechanic on Friday who replaced some relays and a few days later it's having the same issue. There are a number of things happening to it at the same time (I'm sure they are all related). When using the keyless entry to unlock it the front passenger side blinker does not blink. The headlights and running lights come on from unlocking it but the left running light/blinker does not come on. The same goes for the rear driver side blinker. When I enter the car and put the key fob in the ignition the steering wheel does not lower into place, it usually does automatically. That's when all warning lights come on, ALL OF THEM. ABS inoperative, airbag inoperative, traction control inoperative, tire pressure inoperative, etc. The engine does start. When starting the engine the fan kicks into high (I can hear it pretty loudly). On top of all of that, it will not shift out of park. Maybe moisture is getting to some circuits?

It's definitely possible that moisture is causing the issue.

Has a shop not seen the problems happening in person?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have, I had it towed to two separate mechanics. They thought they fixed it, but it probably just dried out in their shop or something.

Having the problem happen when it's wet is significant. If being wet is really what is causing the issue I suspect it's because water is entering a module, possibly wiring or a fuse box. It will take in depth testing at the time the problem is happening to determine what's going on. A full capability scan tool will need to be used to see what modules do and don't communicate and what fault codes are set and go from there. If moisture is suspected as being the cause then what I would do is use a spray bottle or garden hose to wet components and wiring under the hood to see if the problem can be duplicated.