Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2001 e320 4matic, The lights on the trunk lid,

Customer Question

hi, i have a 2001 e320 4matic, The lights on the trunk lid , except for the license plate lights do not go on. eg no reverse lights , neither the other lights under the red lens
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin in the gap by the hinges of the trunk there will be a rubber trunking running between car and trunk .it you pop this away at either end and just check inside for any broken wires

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I opened up the trunking and do not find any broken wires. The reverse lights as well as the other light with the red lens do not go on. I checked the white/yellow and grey/yellow/white wires and did not get any power when the car is put in reverse
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok im gonna have to opt out on this i dont have enough info to guide further another tech will be along shortly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked again and the red rear fog lights do come on , so it is just the reverse lights that do not go on
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, perhaps I can help. My name is***** you have no power at the reverse light wires when the car is in reverse you most likely have a bad reverse light switch or the switch is disconnected. You need to test your voltages at the headlight switch module. Terminal A1 on the module is your reverse light input from the gearshift module. You should measure 12V on the grey/green wire at terminal A1 when the car is in reverse. If you don't have voltage you will need to check the wire at the shifter. If you do have voltage you either have a bad headlight switch module or there is a fault with the wiring between the switch and the reverse lights.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please note that you must click on a rating for my service in order for me to receive credit for my help.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Was I correct with the color combinations of wire that I checked on the trunk lid? If so is my next step to remove the headlight switch from the dash to check voltage
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Yes you were correct. It's actually a grey/yellow on the left side but I think it might look like a white/yellow. You need to check your inputs and outputs at the headlight switch.