Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

My navigation system 2001 ML430 is stuck on Wait. I can't

Customer Question

My navigation system for a 2001 ML430 is stuck on Wait. I can't use the radio, cds or anything. I tried turning the key to position 2 and leaving it but that doesn't work. Please help. I have the radio code.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 1 year ago.

How long have you waited for? Sometimes it can take several hours of driving time before it resets and says "code"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had it for 2 days and driven it probably 4 to 5 hours total, the longest stretch being about 45 minutes long.

I have seen up to 24 hours of ignition on and radio on time necessary to get the radio off of wait. If it doesn't come off of wait, the radio will have to be replaced. Obviously you can't leave your ignition and radio on for 24 hours without killing the battery so a large battery charger is necessary in order to do this procedure. You need a battery charger capable of at least 30 amps.

I have seen it take only a couple of hours of constant ignition on time for it to finally say "code". There is no telling how long it will take. Did you type the wrong password ***** and that is the reason why it says "wait" or did it just happen on its own?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
24 hours straight of running time? I can't leave my vehicle running and unattended for that long. There has to be another way. I just bought this vehicle and the dealership will being hearing some not nice things if that is the case!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just happened on its own. The car was delivered from the dealership on Tuesday night, I turned the key in the ignition and it said WAIT and hasn't changed. I have the code, but haven't been able to enter it.

Not engine running but key on, engine off. You could leave the engine running and that does the same thing essentially except wastes gas. This is the only way, I've dealt with hundreds of these radios. The "CODE" message appears whenever the battery was disconnected or jumpstarted. If the incorrect code was entered 3 times, it then turns to "WAIT" and there is nothing you can do but wait.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I make this happen? I have no idea how to plug it into the battery charger and leave it on. Can I drive it during that 24 hour period and what if I drive it and then turn it off? Does it reset the time?

I would keep driving the car and eventually it should say "code". If not the dealership will have a battery charger big enough so that when the key is turned on, it won't drain the battery.