Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

It appears as though the amplifier on my 2007 S550 has

Customer Question

It appears as though the amplifier on my 2007 S550 has failed. There's no sound coming from the system. Screen does come on and shows basic set up, but no stations are shown. Navigation does show map. Sound started going in and out, then after a while (a few days), a bunch of static and then finally nothing (sound). I thought it had to do with a leak, where water was somehow getting onto the floorboard on the driver's side. [I had the drain tubes blown. Hopefully that corrects that]. I thought the water may have gotten something wet. After the floor (carpet) was dried out, the system seemed to work again, for a short time. But I think that was just coincidental?
If amplifier is gone, can it be repaired? Or, do I have to purchase a new one?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Based upon the symptoms, it does sound like the amplifier is faulty at this point.

It depends upon what circuitry or processor inside the amp that has failed as to whether it can be repaired or not. But repair shops dont repair them as none have the training or equipment for proper diagnosing and then repair. They send them out for repairs, including dealers, and then are either diagnosed and repaired, or told that it is unrepairable.