sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Our 1997 500SL will not start. Nothing happens when the key

Customer Question

Our 1997 500SL will not start. Nothing happens when the key is inserted and turned...The battery is fully charged.... help
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming that the headlamps work and are normal brightness.

It will take some electrical testing to know exactly what you have going on but the most likely causes for this would be the key and the electronic ignition switch, the EIS being the more likely of the two.

If you have a second key I would recommend trying it. IF nothing changes and fuses are good then a scan tool would be needed for deeper testing, but there is a very good chance that the EIS is not reporting that the key has been turned to the run position or it may not be validating the key.