Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a 2003 CLK 320. Messages coming up are: BAS, ESP, and

Customer Question

Hi Michael, I have a 2003 CLK 320. Messages coming up are: BAS, ESP, and the cruise control does not work. It is recommended to replace the brake light switch for these messages, but it is not under the dash. There is a hole by the brake pedal where one should be mounted but it is empty. Where should I be looking? Santiago.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, ABS message comes up.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing that needs done here if this has not been done is to have the fault codes checked/read out using a computer or scan tool that will read all computers to see what codes are set for the ESP/BAS and anti lock braking system.Once this is done the code(s) can be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.If this was already done and the diagnosis was the brake position sensor this can cause the issue occuring here and if your model doesn't have the electronic brake position switch on the bracket above the brake pedal this can be the brake pressure switch needing replaced located in the master cylinder itself.The fluid usually needs drained from the master cylinder to then replace this sensor.Usually it is on the passenger lower side of the brake master cylinder itself.I would have this tested to be sure this is the component needing replaced here.I do not see any other sensors to trigger this brake position signal myself on this model so this should be the sensor your looking for.

Once it is replaced and fluid refilled the brake system may need bled of air to prevent any brake failure while driving.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, do you have a picture of the location of the switch you mention?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Just to be sure as I show two different options,there is not an electronic brake position switch above the brake pedal mounted to a bracket at all on this model that you could find?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No brake switch by the pedal.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this switch should be the switch on the brake hydraulic master cylinder itself.It should be in the front of the master cylinder itself.My info says if it is replaced the brake system will need bled of air.It should be a round I believe two wire switch.If you need picture info on it let me know and I will see what I can locate on this.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I need, a picture.Thanks!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this isnt the greatest picture of this here but is the closest I could locate.I hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/30gyzvrv8nl1zgt/br-11-18.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see the picture. Dropbox says error 404 Not found.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.