Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

I have 2007 gl450. When driving and changing gear at low

Customer Question

i have 2007 gl450. When driving and changing gear at low speeds, there is a very bad vibration coming from the transmission. I will do my best to explain it as I don't know much about these cars. The jerk/vibration is very harsh and can be felt when it changes gear from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4. If you are between 1000-2000rpms range, this is where it is most noticeable. If you keep the car at a certain rpm and drive steady on that gear, the vibration stops and you can see in the cluster it feels like the transmission is breathing (moves up and down like a heart rate at a certain gear).
At first i thought it was an alignment or rotation issue, but it isn't. I have roadforce balanced it. I don't know where to go from here. it has CEL for p0420 and p0562. and it was hit in the back in the past before i bought it, not sure if that could have affected transmission mounts and causing it to vibrate
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code P0420 is in most cases caused by a failing catalytic converter on bank one . The code P0562 indicated a low voltage concern. I would have the converter checked first and while doing so have your charging system checked including the alternator to deal with these two codes. Because you say the car was hit in the rear end then I would also have all the mounts check as well as the drive axles. Either one can cause a vibration as well .