Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

2012 Mercedes E350, only key is locked in trunk. We got the

Customer Question

2012 Mercedes E350, only key is locked in trunk. We got the car doors open but car seems to still be in security mode because trunk button will not work. Back seats will not pull down either. Idea how to open?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.

On some of the older models you use to be able to jumper a relay to open the trunk but unfortunately on this newer model this isn't an option anymore due to the security risk it caused.If you do not have the seats that fold down (as some models had this as an option) the only other option here to open the trunk is to order the small metal key blade from the dealer (this is an inexpensive key blade that will insert into the trunk cylinder) to open the trunk and the dealer can get it in over night or to have a lock smith come out and try and use their tools to release the trunk at the cylinder.Unfortunately I know this isn't the news you wanted to hear on this but when this occurs here and no other key is available and the seats do not fold down unfortunately this is the only option usually.

If you are subscribed to Mbrace through Mercedes they may be able to send a signal to unlock the trunk for you.You would need to call them and see if this can be done and is usually the fastest way and is free as long as you are subscribed to their service.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply, but this does not solve the problem.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.Unfortunately this is the only ways I know of myself here for this model and I know it probably wasn't what you wanted to hear on this.Unfortunately when this issue occurs there isn't an easy way to gain access to the trunk unless you have Mbrace and if they can send the signal to open the trunk.The cheapest way next to calling Mbrace is to order in the small metal key blade to open the trunk which a dealer can usually get in over night.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete