Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2005 CLK500. The lights and all the dash will turn

Customer Question

I have a 2005 CLK500. The lights and all the dash will turn on when I turn the ignition. Also it will go into to gear. But no start of the engine. No grinding like you'd hear when the starter goes out. It did it to me once and then I was able to start it. Then drive it off and start it again. After that it was a no go.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** sounds like you may have a bad starter. Check fuse 52 in the driver's side fuse box under the hood and see if it is blown. If the fuse is blown it indicates a short in the starter motor. If the fuse is good you will need to test the voltage to the fuse when the key is turned to the start position. If you are getting 12V to the fuse it indicates an open circuit in the starter motor. If you aren't getting any voltage to the fuse when turning the key to the start position there may be a fault with the starter relay or with the neutral safety switch. Click on the fuse box diagram link below.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just checking in with you on the Mercedes. Did you receive my answer yesterday? Do you have any questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Just received it thanks. SO everything will light up even if the starter is bad? Do I need to go to the dealership for this or can I use a another mechanic with Mercedes experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can I expect to pay for this?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, yes with a bad starter everything in the car will work except the engine will not turn when you turn the key to the start position. The testing should be performed at the dealer or by an independent Mercedes specialist who has the proper test equipment. The test should be a 1 hour labor charge. A replacement starter is approximately $380 and takes about 2.5 hours to install.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Marty