MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

I have a 2002 Mercedes C230 coupe, the drivers seat will not

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Mercedes C230 coupe, the drivers seat will not adjust backwards, only forwards. When I press the switch on the door to make it move back I can hear the module under the seat clicking. Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 1 year ago.

So when you press the seat switch backwards and you here the relay click, does it move forwards or just doesn't move at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you press the switch to move the seat backwards it doesn't move at all but I hear the module clicking under the seat

Is the seat all the way forward or is there still room to move forward?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, it's all the way forward now, the height adjustment is all the up and won't go back down and the seat won't lay back either but will still move up, the head rest won't go back either and is all the way forward too

I would suggest trying to reset the control unit under the seat. The fuse box is located on the driver's side of the dash and its only accessible with the door open. Just pop off the cover using some sort of flat blade screw driver and check the green 30 amp fuses. Location 27 should be the driver's side seat control unit.

Just remove the fuse for a few minutes, make sure it is good and then reinstall it. See if the seat has reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, tried that, still doesn't work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried it again for a good 5 minutes and still nothing, is there a relay for the seat or just a fuse and the module?

The relay is internal inside the control unit, that is the clicking you hear under the seat. I have seen the switch fail so that it only allows the switch to move in certain directions. The only way to tell if it is bad is to have a diagnostic done where the actual values of the switch can be looked at and the switch determined if it is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that the switch in the door? Maybe I should just order a new one, would you happen to have the part number?

Yes, I'll get the part# ***** you can post your VIN#?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, it's WDBRN47J92A259001