Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

ML 350, tailgate hatch lock dosn't work, can't open the rear

Customer Question

ML 350, tailgate hatch lock dosn't work, can't open the rear lift door? what reason? Is it the problem of lack or computer?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 1 year ago.

The problems is a failed tailgate latch. Unfortunately it is a common problem on this model. Typically it is just a failure of the latch but sometimes water can get into the tailgate through the center high mount brake light, rear window wiper seal, or license plate light trim. The water entry will cause a little bit of corrosion on the tailgate latch electrical connector but this can be checked once the latch is removed. Typical cost of the latch at the dealership is $250 plus another $150 labor. Expect an independent shop to be about $50-100 cheaper. Please let me know if you have any more questions before you decide to rate me.