Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

I have a 2008 gl 320 cdi mercedes benz, reason my key fob

Customer Question

I have a 2008 gl 320 cdi mercedes benz,
for some reason my key fob has stopped unlocking the door automatically, I have to push the unlock button to unlock it. Any ideas why and if I can fix it? I replaced the batteries already.
I am also having a hard time setting up the navigation system, it doesnt seem to be very user friendly.
Thanks,
Sheri
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 1 year ago.

If the remote locks stopped working with the key fob, it can only be 2 things. The first one is the key fob is not sending any radio signals to the locking computer. The second problem could be the antenna for the locking computer is faulty. Since the locking/unlocking works with the button inside, I doubt any thing is wrong with any of the locking computers. My advice would be to get the key checked at an auto parts store. I have seen some stores have a key tester that tests the key for a radio signal output. If there is no signal, then the key is faulty. If there is a signal, then chances are the antenna in the vehicle is faulty. I would call an auto parts store such as autozone first to see if they have this tool. If no one has it around you, then you can always go to a dealership to have the test done but you might have to pay. One last option would be to order a 2nd key, if you don't have one, and just try the key and even if the new one doesn't work, you will at least have a spare. Please let me know if you have any questions before you decide to rate me!