Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

My car started running rough today. ML320. Took it ot the

Customer Question

My car started running rough today. ML320 . Took it ot the garage and they cleared the check engine code for misfire on 3 4 and 5 but then the car won't start at all. not even turn over
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.I need a little more info to assist better.

Are the dash lights coming on at all with this issue?

Do you hear any clicking or any other noises inside or under the hood of the vehicle when trying to start it?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dashlights come on.
No clicking anywhere
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Have you had the codes re checked after this occurred to see if any new codes set or is there any way you can get this checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still has misfire codes. I co own the garage
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you lock and unlock the doors with the remote does it crank over and start then at all?

Are you able to communicate with the engine computer to view engine data?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Locking and unlocking didnt work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked fuses.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this is a tough one for me to answer myself here.This sounds like the electronic ignition switch itself due to the common failure with it but odd to see it fail after just clearing out codes.Do you have a second key to try at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not available at the moment. The key turns but nothing happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be Cam sensor or ignition coil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would those cause both misfire and ignition problem?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

A cam sensor would allow the starter to engage as well as a faulty ignition coil.Is the starter engaging at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
key turns but no click or activity.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This is a tough one for me to answer myself here.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, perhaps I can help. My name is***** sounds like your starter or ignition switch may have failed. You need to test for voltage to the starter solenoid when the key is turned to the start position. If there is voltage to the solenoid you simply have a bad starter. If there is no voltage to the starter the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch in the transmission will need testing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed keys. Works fine now. Got a new keys 3 months ago. It seems to have lost its programming. Waste of $200 and 4 hours of my time.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Glad you got it squared away.