Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Pete, I have a 2003 ml350. I was having problems with the

Customer Question

Hi Pete,
my name is***** have a 2003 ml350. I was having problems with the radio , I have to disconnect and reconnect the fiber optic line to get it to work. I found a radio on ebay which also has navigation which my current one did not. when I changed the radio it works stations come in but no sound and no c/d or navigation dvd even though dvd is in. also will not eject dvd.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It sounds like the radio was the cause here and you did replace it.But now that it is replaced with a radio system that wasn't like the one you had a dealer has to program and code some of the computers in order for the fiber optic ring to work properly as well as the other components including the sound amp and cd changer.The dealer will usually charge about an hours charge to do this and this has be done with their sds machine.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spoke with dealer they said there is no programing to be done. That they did not know of a reprogram to have the computer
recognize the radio. did ask if I needed code but I already have that.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was off line this last weekend.

They need to reset/re code the fiber optic ring with their SDS machine.Since the radio is a different model radio this needs done using their sds machine.The audio system doesn't recognize the radio and the reset and re code of the fiber optic ring is needed.If they did not check and do this this is the first thing that needs done.

If once this is done the fault is still occuring then there is a good chance the replacement radio that was purchases is defective itself and needs replaced again to correct this here.I have seen some radios in the past before replaced used that were faulty needing replaced again.If it comes down to this I would speak with the place the radio was purchased from and see if they can send you one at no cost under parts warranty or refund you so you can purchase another one.

Thanks Pete