Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

My Mercedes SLK is locked in anti-theft and anti-tow mode.

Customer Question

My Mercedes SLK is locked in anti-theft and anti-tow mode. It starts and shuts off. I had to have it towed. (83,000 miles on it) The car was in the shop in July with "lock" problems. They replaced the tumbler and reprogrammed the keys. I paid $1200 for that. How much am I in for this time?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

The cost for repair all depends on what is found at fault.If this is a tow sensor or possibly the PSE that may be damaged or become wet this may be causing a fault like this here.If the PSE needs replaced you will most likely be looking at over $1000 to have replaced.If it is a sensor at fault depending on the sensor or component anywhere from $200 to $1000.

Unfortunately from here it is hard to say for sure which component is at fault here without knowing the codes set.Whenit is looked into they will pull the fault codes out of all computers to see what codes are set.Then from there the codes can be diagnosed to locate the fault.Having the codes read out is the first step and best way to help pinpoint the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.