Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

1986 560SEC. Sunroof will not retract. Popup feature works,

Customer Question

1986 560SEC. Sunroof will not retract. Popup feature works, but no retraction. How does one remove the sunroof when you cannot get to the front of the interior panel to pull the attachments loose? Michael Coup
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you can inspect the track when it is popped up and see if there is any debris in the track or any broken or damaged components in the track causing this issue here.If a fault is found with any debris or broken/damaged components let me know as well as let me know if you are unable to see anything at fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete,That didn't yield anything. I really can't see much in there, and there is nothing visible. The problem is on the left side. Right side tries to drop down, but can't, and the left side doesn't move. The left side is slightly "up" when the roof is closed. Again, the pop up feature works fine, but when the switch is moved to call for "open", the right side drops, maybe .25 inches, but the left side stays high by about .125 inches.Mike
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,unfortunately I don't have the removal or access feature on this here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete,There is a video on YouTube for removal of a sunroof that won't retract, but it involves getting something under the front edge of the inside panel and bending the panel down to get to the popout retainers to remove the inner panel. I was hoping there was a method that didn't involve "bending" things. That fellow straightened the panel before reinstalling, but getting something under the panel looks dangerous to the upholstery to me! My mechanic has tried to work on it and gotten nowhere, so I'm just trying to find a fix.