FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

I have a 2003 Mercedes E320 W211 with 145k miles, purchased

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Mercedes E320 W211 with 145k miles, purchased 60 days ago, local car...
Three days later before emissions "check engine light" comes on... Got that issue repaired and good to go on emissions... While in shop had an oil change general overlook and test drive at Authorized Mercedes Dealer...
Past week engine has developed at tap, tap, during low gear acceleration, sporadically... First thought mistakenly put low octane but ran that our...
Rough 80% guess the tap, tap, does not happen when interstate driving becomes city driving... Than may have tap at one red light, two blocks next light 50/50...
Can detect slight loss of power and shifting not as responsive... So I reset transmission shift mode memory... Also tried changing driving modes without different results...
Overall car clean, good title and has been well maintained... This is best luxury sport car I ever owned and my first Mercedes.... Like learning fresh to drive and maintain...
Thanks for you help!
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming back on. Does the noise change depending on if the engine is cold or hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check Engine light is off... Actually, when started cold from overnight, engine starts quickly, humms smooth like it should, idles down after a few seconds, no tap... Make that first acceleration out of the parking lot to main highway tap, tap most of the time... Jump on interstate for about 10 miles to work, first exit off to city roads, rare to get the tap... When city miles changes from stop to stop or redlights, 60/40... Drove around the city for roughly two last night, no tap at all... May just be in my head but without tap, shifting, power, car feels just a little more on cue... If I had to put a number would say looses 10% when tapping... When not tapping, so smooth, sounds right and responds correctly...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also did the reset for transmission memory shift last week... Shifting smoother but did not eliminate any tapping frequency..Thanks,
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. One last question. Is the ticking fairly loud or somewhat faint?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Normal road driving cabin volume at highway speeds 60-75 do not hear tapping...
Tapping volume will increase at idle and first acceleration on a grade 12-15%
When AC blower motor at full speed, drowns out tapping sound...If one is no sound and ten would be hearing at highway speed or blower blasting...
I would say tapping under normal city acceleration could be a three....
May increase volume to four under strain 10 to 15% grade from stop...
Most time when taping seems to have slight change in shifting smoothness or stays - hesitate second gear to 20mph and will not shift out to third until 40mph, shifts smoothly when operating normal (no tap)... When car running right, shifts so smooth ,acceleration at a purr, humms, power is good... Tapping is definitely coming from passenger side...Hooked to diagnostic would a tap show a code number... Drove about 80 to 100 mixed driving yesterday shift tap problem maybe 10% of time... Probably best operations out of last 10 to 12 days... I pulled over a couple times when taping and shift from D to P to R and cycle couple of times, once no effect, second time got quiet...Just annoying and worrisome not knowing what effect may be having on engine... As I told you earlier when I have taken to shop (no tap) during test drive... I no not mind spending a few dollars may be last car I own... Only drive about 100 miles per week normally...Body and cabin cleanness is like a 20k mile automobile, no rips cracks, only noticeable defect leather is screeched on console armrest...Only 3 door dings on passenger side of body and a couple of gravel marks on front of car... Georgia car no rust garage kept... Can you give me a step by step process to seek repairs with it being an air leak and they want to charge or rip off for a $2000. unneeded repair... I do plan another oil change at 150 k, transmission service, brake flush, etc.... Believe it will be due a G service about that time anyway...
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. If the oil change is coming due you may want to start with that. I have seen deteriorating or poor quality oil filters cause this. I have also see a fuel injector cause this. In most cases injector noise is considered normal but not always if it is really loud. I wish I could hear the noise. That would tell me for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did fresh start oil and filter change when car was in for emissions repairs at 146K... The diagnosis and materials used for the emissions problem showing, CODE: P0410...Diagnose, remove and replace A.I.R SWITCH OVER VALVE...
Replace Air Cleaner Element...
Lube , synthetic oil filter change...
Checked air filter and breather filter...
Check all fluids levels, tires pressures...
Preforms basic safety inspection, road test...
Mechanic said overall in good condition and recommended front brakes at G Service 150k service, 147500 now...Would you think it ok to wait repair at 150K service or repair now....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent the above question on the Mercedes this morning... You cannot be asking me to rate before we are finished....
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

I am not asking to rate. The system does that on its own. Is the noise gone? When you mention the repair, are you wondering if you should do the brakes or the AIR?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was telling you of the parts and repairs done for emissions testing... So would anything repaired trigger another issue to cause tapping... Definitely will wait on brakes and no problems with AC...My question to you was should it be ok with the tap, tap to wait for the 150K service... Do you think its minor or major and level of urgency...