Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 92 Mercedes 300se with probably around 270k as the

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 92 Mercedes 300se with probably around 270k as the odometer stopped at 262k..My question is that oil is leaking in the front of motor,I have the head gaskets replaced and the power steering gear as well..The idle is a little lumpy at times,but she starts right up..What should I be looking for?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** it the cylinder head gasket that was replaced or just the valve cover gasket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cylinder head
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it is not unusual for the front upper timing cover to leak on this motor. The cover was resealed when the head gasket was replaced but it's easy to get the gasket installed incorrectly. I'd be rechecking for leakage at the upper timing cover. The front crankshaft seal and oil pan gasket and the timing chain tensioner are other possibilities. As far as the lump idle is concerned I'd be checking for intake leaks at the manifold. There are a lot of possibilities for lump idle. Intake leaks are most common but incorrect fuel mixture or an ignition problem are also possibilities.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Was my answer helpful?