Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1983 Mercedes 380 SL. This car has sat years after the

Customer Question

1983 Mercedes 380 SL. This car has sat for several years after the owners passing. I acquired the car and this is what is going on. #1, When I start it up, it runs very rough. #2, when I put it into gear, it takes a while for it to go into that gear and
#3, it's like it has very little power. I plan on putting in fresh gas, new fuel filter, and replacing spark plugs. The rotor looked bad so I am replacing the distributor cap and the rotor. I also plan on replacing the tranny fluid & filter. This is my list
to do for now. Is there anything else I need to look into?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, as far as dealing with the current issues, I would clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner and a rag and would use Seafoam to do a fuel injection cleaning as follows which will also clean the valves and intake manifold:

You will need a can of SeaFoam cleaner, a funnel and ahelper.

Disconnect the large vacuum hose at the brake booster(this goes directly to intake manifold). Have helper crank engine and every few seconds, goose the gas pedal to keep engine from stalling. Stick funnel in end of disconnect vacuum hose and slowly pour contents of Seafoam into funnel.( It will smoke white out the exhaust when doing this, which is normal for this procedure.)

Once done, reconnect vacuum hose and drive for about 5 miles at hwy speeds to finish cleaning out carbon.

the above will clean carbon from valves, intake manifold and injectors.

Not related to the issues, but with how long it has sat, you need to flush the cooling system and flush the brake fluid as well, use silicone lubricant to lubricate all suspension bushings, grease the balljoint fittings, remove the brake calipers and lubricate the caliper hardware and slides to prevent seizing, check the pads and if rust on their surface, use some 120 grit sandpaper to lightly sand their surfaces.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wasn't able to pin down any help over the weekend with Halloween & all, but I did pour 4 fresh gallons into the tank and a whole can of Seafoam. I also put in new spark plugs, wires, rotor & distributor cap. Had hell getting the car started but once I did it would not go above 600 RPM. It would bog down. Also, the oil gauge peaked out while it was running. That can't be normal. All the vacuum lines look good and the oil looked fine also.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Disconnect the exhaust at the manifold and see if it starts easier and has more power. If it does, then the converter is clogged.

If not, then we may be looking at jumped timing and will need to check that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. It may the weekend before I can do that, but be patient.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, no problem.