Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Have a 2011 gl450. Suddenly, the driver door will not lock.

Customer Question

Have a 2011 gl450. Suddenly, the driver door will not lock. Interior button will lock other doors but not driver door. Key fob won't lock any door but does unlock. What could be the cause?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be a fault with the drivers door latch itself.I have seen the door latch fail like this and cause the lock issue as it can send a false signal that the door is opened.In this case it will not lock with the interior button and when the remote is used it and the other doors will not lock due to seeing a false signal that the drivers door is opened when it is not.

I would have the drivers door latch checked/tested to see if it needs replaced to correct this fault as I suspect it does.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, it keeps coming & going. Unknown for sure yet, but seems like perhaps using the other key makes it start working again, then it works works with both keys (until the next time when it starts over again).
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This can still be an issue with the latch itself as this is one of the more common faults.I have also seen control unit/ecu failure or intermittent failure cause electrical issues like this as well.Unfortunately in order to pinpoint the fault here this will have to be checked (first by having the fault codes checked with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers on your vehicle here) and tested when the fault is occuring to see if you have a faulty latch needing replaced or if this is an issue with a control unit/ecu.I suspect the drivers door latch as this is most common.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you're saying it just needs to go in for service to be addressed, I guess? Any clue on cost for such a thing?