Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

2006 E55 AMG ENGINE TRANSFER VIBRATION WHEN COLD

Customer Question

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I need a little more info to assist better.

Has anything been checked or replaced to try and locate or correct this fault?

Was anything done on the vehicle that may have caused this issue?

Does this vibration occur at start up in park and in gear and felt in the whole vehicle?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I've done is run induction cleaner through the vac system. Goes away once reaches full operating temperature. In park very noticeable at 1400-1500 rpms. Stumbles at times on cold take off. Runs fantastic after 7-10 minutes of driving. Not using coolant. No smoke from exhaust. 2006 with only 70k. Maybe trans mount. Vibration stops if shifted into neutral while driving.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,the biggest issue I have seen to cause this here is a worn transmission/transfer case mount or engine mount.If these have not been inspected I would have these checked to see if one or more need replaced at all.I have also seen bent exhaust heat shields contact the engine or body of the vehicle and cause this vibration as well needing re bent to keep this from occuring.It doesn't seem like a small bent shield will do this but I have seen it several times before.

Mercedes engine mounts are a common issue,they are good mounts but tend to collapse over time and cause this issue here.With you being able to shift into neutral to stop this vibration this sounds like a mount issue as this takes the twist off the engine and transmission when shifted back into neutral.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh yeah. No MIL to confirm no missfire noticed.
DRIVING ME NUTS.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If there isn't a check engine light on this isn't an engine or transmission issue here.This does sound more like one of the mounts are collapsed or possibly even broken needing replaced to correct this fault.This is common and in some cases I have had to replace all of the mounts.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I replace driveshaft flanges at the same time?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

You can inspect them for any wear around the bolt slotted holes or any cracks and replace as needed.It is a good idea to replace these as with the AMG models these tend to wear faster then the non AMG due to torque output into them.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last week I replaced my Transmission Mount, and it completely changed all aspects of how the vehicle drives, idles,
etc. It now drives and rides like a E55 AMG should. Amazing difference. With just one small $45 mount.
(OEM of course)