Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

I replaced my driver side air suspension on my 2009 cls550.

Customer Question

I replaced my driver side air suspension on my 2009 cls550. It's raised once and now it's back down to the ground. The malfunction light was on even once it raised. I drove it was out 5 miles and now the don't drive vehicle too low light is on. But it is only one side that low. Is this the pump, is it the fuse? Can it be the pump if it's only one wheel? Help my vehicle is stuck.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the typos. I was typing fast.
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 1 year ago.

I doubt its the pump, one way you can figure out if its the pump is to press the raise switch on the center console and watch the other sides to see they go up. If the other sides do, then the pump is fine. You probably have a leak in the line from the valve block assembly to the driver's front strut or the strut that you put in has a leak. I suggest checking the part you put in by taking a bottle of soapy water and spraying the top of the strut where the connection is and look for bubbles. Then spray the actual rubber part very well and look for any bubbles with a flash light. It is less common for line to leak and a lot more common for the replacement strut to leak, especially if you got the part aftermarket and not a dealership.

Please let me know what you find and if you need anything else, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I press the button inside, nothing happens to either side. Could it be a fuse or relay.

Yes it could be the fuse, the fuse is located in the front pre fuse box under the passenger floor panel. It is an orange 40 amp fuse#74. Here is a picture

A simple way to check the fuse and relay is to raise the suspension level button and quickly listen outside on the driver's front wheel well area for the airmatic pump to kick on. If you hear it turn on, then you know the fuse and relay are good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not turn on. Question, can the fuse just make one strut only not raise? Ill go and check it. Sorry it takes me so long to respond. I do not get a notification that you have sent a response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I know if it's bad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Yes, a blown fuse can cause one strut not to raise since the other struts still have air in them. It will take a while for the other struts to leak down, sometimes 1-2 months. Most likely the leaking strut you replaced caused the pump to over run and blow the fuse. Typically the airmatic pump burns up and then draws too much amperage which then causes the fuse to blown. I would check that 40 amp maxi fuse and if its blown, just go ahead and replace the pump, fuse and relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh no, you think I will need to replace the pump? Also is the fuse inside of the box meaning I will need to unscrew it? I have pulled up my plate and located what you gm have shown me but I'm not positive on how to access the fuse. Also can you send me a pic of the location of the pump? I have heard it's pretty simple to replace.

I think you may have to replace the pump if it doesn't run after checking/replacing the fuse. If the fuse is good and the pump is not running, then it has burned and seized. The fuse actually just pulls out of the holder, straight up. You have to release a small tab on the front and back of the fuse to allow it to slide up. The fuse looks like the one in the picture I've attached.

Here is the fuse

Here are the compressor instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are awesome. However one more question. There are 5 orange fuses. Which one is it. Each one of the 5 orange fuses has a color dot and matching colored wire attached to it. They are brown, green, purple, blue, and white. There is a last one that is a red fuse with a black wire. From right to left. How do I know which one it just
Is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its the one with the blue dot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to test the air compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I have changed the fuse, all of them in that strip, every relay in the fuse box under the hood, the driver side strut, and now the full compressor and still it will not raise and says malfunction, vehicle too low. What now????????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is also no sound coming from the pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are pics of everything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.