Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

In an approx. 18 gallon capacity gasoline tank, approx. 2

Customer Question

In an approx. 18 gallon capacity gasoline tank, approx. 2 gallons of diesel fuel was introduced by accident. Afterwards, I filled the remainder of the tank with 93 octane gasoline-- so the fuel in the tank is approx. 11--12% diesel. What to expect and do from here?
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Presume that the fuel is pumped from the bottom of the tank and since diesel is heavier than gasoline, the dilution may not help?
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 1 year ago.

The fuel is pumped from the bottom of the tank but your tank is a saddle type tank. The fuel pump is on the passenger side along with the filler neck so chances are, all of the diesel is still on the passenger side. The driver's side of the tank has a siphon jet pump which then allows fuel to empty into the fuel pump pot where it mixes. I would expect the engine to run a little more poorly and maybe smoke a little more but it shouldn't run much different. It won't damage the catalytic converts or anything else for such a small amount of diesel.