cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
74954164

2001 Mercedes-Benz e430 will not start. I hear a click when

Customer Question

2001 Mercedes-Benz e430 will not start. I hear a click when the key id turned to the position just before the final start position. But nothing when I try to start the car. If the headlights are on, they do not turn off when trying to start the car. See
open question for background. Question is: How to I verify that the transmission range sensor and nurtural safety switch are good or bad?
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Notes from previous question for background: Hello, I have a 2001 Benz e430 that went into limp mode while driving and will now not start. The Battery is new and the rest of the electrical systems appear to be good...Just won't start or activate the starter. I have found a good amount of oil in the EGS51 TCM. I have removed the unit and cleaned the oil from the unit and the cables to the unit with break cleaner but the symptoms are the same. It's worth noting that the symptoms are the same with the unit not installed at all. When the vehicle was scanned the Transmission Range Sensor was not registering but this could be due to a bad TCM and not the sensor (my current understanding). I am now trying to replace the unit with out having to tow the vehicle to a deal for reprogramming (flashing) the replacement unit but have questions about how closely a used TCM will have to be to the unit being replaced to work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have purchased a used TCM off of eBay but this has not changed the symptoms. The part was from the same make and model car. eBay item number 131593286955http://www.ebay.com/itm/131593286955
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone number is +1 415/728.5399
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

do you have a multi meter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

do you know to test for voltage

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. I have a decent understanding of analog electrons. Voltage, Resistance, Ohms Law, Powers Law, etc.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

awesome test the neutral safety switch for voltage and resistance as well as the range sensor but i highly doubt it is the range sensor and is the vehicle still in limp mode

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle will not start. If you have an iPhone we can do FaceTime. (###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Otherwise I could make a youtube video of what the car is doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I need to jack up the car to get the the nurtural safety switch, I should do that before hand.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

if you could do a video that would be great and yes i would jack the vehicle up first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The video is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ywRIGwsTMU
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

ok i willl check it out and get back with you

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

do you have the list of codes that the car is throwing and the clicking when you turn the key is the starter solenoid clicking

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

i noticed that the security is light is on

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

is that correct

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have asked for the ODB2 scanner codes from the dealer that did a diagnosis. I don't have then just yet.I don't know witch dash light is the security light or if it's not normal during the startup of the vehicle to show all lights on as a light test.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

as soon as you get those codes let me know i will be able to provide you with alot more information as to what the problem is without them it is just guess work