Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

The convertible top does not respond to open. The trunk

Customer Question

The convertible top does not respond to open. The trunk light turned red. What should I do?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Usually this indicates that a micro switch/position sensor for the roof components or the trunk components has failed and is sending an incorrect signal on what position the trunk is in or the roof position signals.I have seen several micro switch/sensor failures in the past before with the affected sensor/switch needing replaced.

The first thing to do is make sure your trunk partition is closed in the trunk.If it is open this will keep the roof from operating.If it is closed the next step is to have a scan tool connected to your vehicle to read the sensor signals to see which sensor is sending a false position signal as this is the sensor that usually needs replaced.This needs done with a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with the roof computer to check these signals.In some cases this will require a high end scan tool or dealers sds machine to check the position sensor signals to locate the faulty one needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.