Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

I have an 2006 ML500. I replaced 164 740 07 35, Trunk Lock

Customer Question

I have an 2006 ML500. I replaced 164 740 07 35, Trunk Lock Actuator Motor (hatch door). The new part worked fine for about a week and then stopped. I ordered a replacement and installed the new part. It worked once and then nothing. The door will close and lock, but the motor runs once and then no more. It will lock but not unlock unless I wait for about ten minutes. Checked all of the fuses, all are good. I'm thinking the electronic handle release above the motor is now defective. What do you think it is?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 1 year ago.

Did you happen to lock at the wiring pins of the connector for the latch. It is very common for corrosion to cause all sorts of weird problems with that latch. Water gets in though the rear wiper seal or through the chrome trim piece that goes around the trunk lid handle. Sometimes the handle wiring connector can get corrosion in there as well so I would suggest opening it back up and inspecting for any corrosion. If there is no corrosion, then yes, a shorted tailgate handle can cause this problem.

Let me know if you need any more help, thanks!