Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Have a 2001 Mercedes slk230 hard top convertible I started

Customer Question

Have a 2001 Mercedes slk230 hard top convertible
I started putting up my hard top convertible and got about half way up and stop it then put it back down because I forgot to go somewhere and was leaving house again and I wanted top back down. Now when I put it back up the small back triangle Windows wont go up. The motor is still running like it is trying to finish the step befor it but the top is up. Then I noticed it looks like the top is not locked in all the way. It looks like it from the outside of the car but on the inside there is a real small gap between the roof and wind shield side. It is almost as if the locks are closed when the roof comes up and goes into place. So it is really not locked in for the small triangle Windows to go up. The red bot***** *****ght stays flashing and beeps if I try driving it that wAy
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** you able to lower the roof into the trunk again?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive my reply?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am able to lower again and raise over and over. The triangle windows just wont go up like the top didn;t fully lock in.. and like I said there is a small space between top and windshield

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it sounds like the front locks may have gotten out of sync. You can manually open them and allow them to engage into the front latches then continue the cycle with the switch. If you look up at your headliner you will see a round plug in the front center. Remove the plug and use the Allen wrench in the tool kit to open the locks.

Let me know if that works.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

If the closing cycle will not continue with the switch you can use the Allen wrench to lock the roof and then try the switch to raise the rear windows.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

The Allen wrench might be stored behind the right hand panel in the trunk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no switch to raise and lower back triangle windows. They only go up and down in the raising and lowering of the hard top.

So the only suggestion you gave me did not work. What else can I try

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

The roof switch is also the rear window switch. Is the roof completely locked down now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It appears to be. The gap is still there but it may have just been my imagination and the gap was always there. but through the small gap i could see the what appears to be the hooks locking in but the motor for the top just keeps running for as long as I hold the red button. But the small triangle backs windows wont come up.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

If the pump keeps running it means that the roof has not completed it's closing cycle. If the closing cycle does not finish, the rear windows will not come up. Did you use the Allen wrench to lock the front of the roof down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I believe so. It is real real hard to turn but I turned as far as will go. should I try putting wd40 in the hole and turn again. I've also tried doing it to the right and left. but it is real real stiff and hard to turn

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

To lock the roof you would turn it counterclockwise. Can you send me a picture of the gap in the roof?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dont know how to get my pic from my iphone to my computer but if you send me what email address to send to I can send from my phone

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to share our private contact info without an additional service fee for phone or email support. I can send you the agreement if you would like me to do so. There is an additional $18 charge for the service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

give me a few minutes. im trying to figure out how to get my pic on my computer to send you thanks

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

I've attached a picture of what the gap should normally look like. Click on the link below. Let me know if yours looks the same.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The outside of car has no gap. It is on the inside. but it is very small and like i said it was probably always there and i just didn't notice. When I put the top up it looks like the arms move when it meets but the motor just keeps running but the small triangle windows won't go up. And it was never a problem until i had put it half way up then lowered it again the over day. Can you think of anything else. So I think the arms are locking in now which maybe there were before I don't know but this last time I could see something move thru that small gap on the inside of the car. The outside shows no gap now and did not show a gap before either. Its just the inside I was not sure about the gap.

any other suggestions. I hope

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

I think the front is probably ok but one of the micro switches is not communicating that the roof is closed. The trunk might also be the problem. You can try pressing down on each side of the trunk and see if it helps. I'd have a helper pressing down on each side of the trunk while you operate the switch. If you have no success I would suspect that a micro switch is not working properly either due to a faulty switch or a broken wire. Sometimes the wires in the roof break and cause this problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i will try and fird a few people to help me. can i get back with u tomorrow on this because i have to get to work. will i have to pay again to reply tomorrow

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

You can just reply back here for no additional fee. One last thing you could try is pressing the roof switch forward two times quickly and holding it on the second try. This is the procedure to raise the rear windows after they have been lowered with the roof switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks i did not know that

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Yes when the roof is up you can pull back two times on the switch and hold it to lower all 4 windows. Pressing forward two times raises all 4 windows.