Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

S430 Benz key is in the ignition but it WILL NOT TURN.

Customer Question

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** problem will typically be either a bad key, bad ignition switch or a weak car battery. Do you have another key that you can try?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we don't have another key, I believe the battery is good because the radio and lights come on fine. Is there a way to crank this car out of this parking lot??
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

There is no way to start the car if you cannot turn the key. It would be a good idea to try a jump start anyway but if the headlights work this is probably not going to be a battery problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the key has been working all day. we will try a jump, but as I stated before the lights are working. Any more HELPFUL advice you can give??
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid you are kind of stuck without a spare key. The first thing you always do when having these symptoms is try your spare key and make sure that the battery is fully charged. You could try rebooting the vehicle network by disconnecting both battery cables and joining the two cable terminals together for a few minutes then reconnect them to the battery and see if the key will turn. If you have no success you will need to order a new key from the dealer. If the new key does not start the car you will need to replace the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could this be an issue with a fuse?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

It's not likely. The S class uses a fuse block under the passenger side footrest panel to power the ignition switch. The fuses are not replaceable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you come to mesquite Texas?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

I wish I could :-)

I'm located in Florida.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have GOT TO CRANK this car Marty!!! HEEELLLPPPP.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid there is nothing more that you can do. If the reboot does not help you will need to get the car towed. Ordering a new key would be your best bet but there is no guarantee that it will solve the problem. If you to the car to the dealer they will suggest the same thing. Next step is to replace the ignition switch. At the dealership they will check those fuses under the floor but they do not usually fail. The common problem is a bad key or a bad ignition switch.