MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

I removed and reinstalled the headliner and now the interior

Customer Question

I removed and reinstalled the headliner and now the interior and dash lights are not working. Is there something in common about those two systems that would help me to troubleshoot the problem?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello sorry I didn't see you request me earlier. Can you elaborate a little more on exactly what is or is not working and what you have tried ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, no problem. There is no power to anything connected to the wiring harness that is above the headliner. That includes the lights above the doors, the map lights in the front, vanity lights in the visors and no power to the controller mounted on the headliner. There are no lights in the dashboard however the radio works, the exterior lights, turn signals, etc, the engine and the wipers are all fine.

Ok what about the cigar lighter light and glove box ? Also check fuse 10 and 13 in front engine bay fuse box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light in the glove box and the cigar lighter both work. I don't have access to the vehicle to check the fuse 10 and 13 at the present time. Does the fact that the interior lights and dash are out but the glove box and cigar lighter work provide any clues?

It has been so long since I messaged I will have to recheck lol. But fuses I mentioned are a factor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dash gauges also aren't working if that provides another clue. Do you have access to a wiring diagram for those components? If so, could I get a copy?

Do you have possession of the Ml?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 125 miles away at school with my daughter. I won't be able to get up there till next weekend. Is there a something she can check?

Oh ok I see. Ok let me review what we have been discussing. Is there any additional info I need to know ?

Do you mean dash gauges or dash lights to be clear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dash gauges like the speedometer, tach, gas gauge, etc don't work and neither does the dash illumination.

Ok that helps. I will go through the diagrams and see what could have happened.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any luck looking at the diagrams? I'm heading up this weekend to work on the car. Any chance the problem is related to a bad ground wire on the "D" pillar on the passenger side?

I will opt out and let another tech help. My apologies my schedule is so bad right now I don't want to lock you to me and stop you from progress in sorry. I wish you luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lou...no one is picking up my question....is it possible to get a copy of the wiring diagrams? I may be able to figure it out from there.