Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

My 2000 Mercedes S430 driver side window, door locks, seat

Customer Question

my 2000 Mercedes S430 driver side window, door locks, seat do not work. Also the sunroof dose not work. All the fuses are good. If you go to the passenger side the window will go up in down with the switch on that door. But if you go back to the drivers
side it will not. my radio comes on but there is no sound. The passenger side seat work as well.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Most likely this is a faulty SAM module and will require diagnosis and confirmation with a MB STAR scan tool, but if you can provide the vin number I will pull the schematics and see if there is any testing without a MB STAR scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the super late response. I had to deal with a funeral. But im back at it . The vin to my Mercedes is WDBNG70J8YA080767
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, I went thru the testing procedures and unfortunately they all require a Star scan tool, no work arounds. backprobing the SAM unit will definitely fry it and other modules as well

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok can you tell me who is the best to buy on from. I plan on keeping this car a while.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like can you use snap on scan tool or is it just to a MB Star tool
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 1 year ago.

Are all of the door locks inoperative or just the driver's side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All

Ok, the locks are controlled by a completely separate pump module so that is a separate problem. There is a fuse for the central locking pump under the passenger rear seat bench. You have to remove the plastic floor light cover in order to access the fuse box. Fuse 62 (yellow 20 amp) is the one you need to check. It is common for the pump to burn up or seize.

As for the driver's window and seat, there is a driver's side door control module that commonly fails which will take out all functions of the door (except locks) and seat controls.

The sunroof is not controlled by any of these control units either. It would be beneficial to have a quick test done with a Mercedes star or a Snap-on scanner to check all fault codes. There may be a faulty overhead control panel which controls the sunroof or a just a bad sunroof motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've checked all the fuses and there good. The ones under the hood and under the seat. And its intermittent some times it will power up and everything's works then all of the sudden they will stop. But it's stopped working more then working

Have you checked to see if the door locks start working when the all the window and seat controls start working? Does everything start working at the same time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the sunroof door locks and driver seat

They all start working at the same time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but it don't last long

It sounds like an interior network problem. I think the best option would be to get a quick test done by a mercedes star diagnostic tool. If you get the results, you can post them here and I can tell you which parts need to be replaced. I don't want to blindly have you replace parts that could be causing the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I want to buy one of the scan tools witch ones the best

You can't buy the Mercedes scan tool but you can buy a knock off that will work just as well.