Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

Pete, I saw your answer to this thread: earlier. I had this

Customer Question

Hi Pete, I saw your answer to this thread: http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/4i8mv-mercedes-benz-c280-98-c280-gear-indicator-light.html earlier. I had this issue a couple of years ago with my 99 SL500 and I had spilled my drink more than once where liquid went into the shifter asm. I replaced the shifter with a new one from Mercedes in Jan 2014. I continued to have shifting issues that progressed over time to where if I tried to accelerate quickly the car would go into neutral and I would have to shift through gears to get it to engage or would have to pull over and put in park or restart the car. Also had issues with it not shifting out of low gear. Well I researched online and determined my issue was the transmission conductor plate, which I finally had replaced yesterday. The issue with the "D" light not coming on and having to wiggle the gear or go thru the gears started again recently as the weather cooled down and it was worse than ever. These issues happened more frequently when it was below 50 degrees. After I had the TCP replaced yesterday, and it shifts like a dream now and doesn't slip if i gas it, the only tranny issue I still have is the shifter "D" issue and it goes into low gear until I wiggle the shifter. What else could the issue be? I have not spilled any liquid whatsover in the shifter since I replaced it?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the transmission is now shifting properly then its not likely the new conductor plate is bad. In order to try and determine why the indicator is still not working correctly you need to start with having the computer system scanned and see if there are any fault code setting related to the transmission. If you can get this done and post back with the results I will try and help you get this resolved.