sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The top on my 2003 amg sl55 won't fully close. The trunk is

Customer Question

The top on my 2003 amg sl55 won't fully close. The trunk is stuck open and because of this fluid is leaking.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The trunk is only slightly open, picture available upon request. The luggage hatch was fully closed. The emergency brake is on when trying to close it. The trunk won't open at this point. (of course)
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

The reason the top won't close is because the fluid is leaking. When the fluid gets low enough then there won't be enough fluid pressure and volume to move the components.

What will need to be done first is locate and repair the leak, refill the system, and that should take care of all the problems. A visual inspection of all components including the pump, lines and cylinders will need to be done to see where the fluid is leaking, it may be necessary to run the pump to see the source of the leak.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fluid isn't low though so I still don't understand why that would stall the top from closing. The system is FULL of hydraulic fluid. 2 days ago 14 cans of Pentosin hydraulic oil were put in.

I wasn't aware that fluid had been added.

Was the leak repaired also?

Does the pump run when the componetns don't move?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fluid wasn't added post problem, it was added pre problem, not that it really matters. The leak was not repaired. My theory is that it's leaking because it won't close completely. When it was closed completely (before I tried to put the top down), there was no leak. The pump will run for a certain amount of time after the car has been started.

If the pump is running yet the top components aren't moving as intended then there is either still air in the system, a cylinder or the pump have failed.

You haven't added fluid or checked the level since it stopped working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I haven't checked the fluid level since the problem because literally 2 days before I had all the fluids flushed and filled.

That makes it more likely to be a fluid related issue, and if you know you have a leak then the fluid is definitely low. The leak needs to be repaired,then the system filled and bled. If the pump runs and the components don't move it's either from low fluid level, failed cylinders or a failed pump.