Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I am trying help a friend getting a 1998 S320 started. I

Customer Question

I am trying help a friend getting a 1998 S320 started. I died in the garage 3 years ago and has been sitting. It starts and dies in about 2 seconds. I have changed the fuel filter and checked fuel pressure. I has not shown any codes
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle was owned by an elderly man and given to his daughter. Has 35,000 miles. been sitting the last 3-4 years. The owner stated the car had been running poorly prior to stalling in the garage and would not restart.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** the car stay running on ether sprayed into the air intake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not tried that. It has not been used to 3-4 years. battery was totally dead. I put another in it and it tries running for about two seconds. I am getting fuel at the fuel rail. I did a pressure test getting about 50 psi fuel pressure. i will try that later today. I does seem to be electrical or electronic. There is only one key. Is it possible that it is out of sync.
Ken
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ken, if the car runs on ether the problem is most likely the key. You should make sure that you have power to the injectors. If you have power to the injectors and it runs on ether it would indicate no injector pulse. If you have no injector pulse it means that the car is in immobilizer mode. Locking and unlocking the car would clear the immobilizer unless the key was bad. If you get the car connected to a factory scan tool you may be able to clear the immobilizer faults and get it running. It's also possible that you have 6 stuck fuel injectors.

Let me know what you find out with the ether.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The key fob does nothing to lock or unlock the car. Can I replace the battery in the key. I am about to try the ether
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Can you lock and unlock ALL of the doors when using the key in the driver's door lock?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the key in the drivers door locks and in locks all door
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Several manual lock unlock cycles did not solve the issue. An online contributor suggested holding down the lock button and hitting the unlock 5 times in 10 seconds. So it I put a new battery in key can I program it using the above method
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Go ahead and replace the battery and see if you can synchronize the remote. Follow the procedure below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This particular car does not have the red and green lamps at the bottom of the mirror either inside or on the front side facing the glass. I was able to replace the key batteries and get it to remotely lock and unlock all doors. I was able to get it to run on ether. I do not know how to determine if there is power to the injectors. What do I need to go to the dealership to get another key made. The car is not mobile several miles away. I also tried the 10 sec on lock button 5 times on the unlock in that 10 sec then on and off on the lock and go to position 2 on the steering lock
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the red and green lights on the outer door handle? Do they blink green when you unlock the door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marty I do not have red and green lights on the outer door handle. I assume that you are talking about the infared receptor on the handle area. The thing that I noticed tonight that i did not see earlier was the self locking feature after exiting. I was doing a number of cycles trying the get it to sync. There is also a procedure in the owners manual battery replacement section that tells how to reprogram the key. I have done that and it functions properly locking and unlocking the doors. Ken
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

It does sound like it's locked in anti theft mode. Try leaving a window down and locking the car with the remote. Wait 5 minutes then reach in and open a door using the inside door handle and see if you can trigger the alarm then use the remote to lock and unlock the car and see if you can turn the alarm off.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Also check all of the fuses in the trunk fuse box. Also try disconnecting the battery cables and connecting the two cable ends together for 5 minutes then reconnect them to the battery and see if you can start it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trunk fuses are good. I pulled the batt cables clamping them together probably longer than 5 min then did the window down locked door It did trigger the alarm and was able to turn it off with unlock button Still does not start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried the door locked open from in lock and unlock triggered the alarm and lock or unlock button turns it off as it should. I did notice that it is showing me a wrench symbol 400 on the instrument cluster
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cancel phone call. I am sure that it is coming down to the key. Once I get the replacement we can tall
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, sorry for the wait I had a busy Monday at work. Ideally you should get the car scanned with a Mercedes tester to check for fault codes. If you are unable to do that I think ordering a new key is reasonable. The wrench symbol is just the maintenance reminder.

Let me know how you make out.

Marty