Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I had to replace my 1979 450SL engine no. 11798512027181 and

Customer Question

I had to replace my 1979 450SL engine no. 11798512027181 and the shop replaced it with no. R1160110945. That appears to be an engine for a 350SL. Is that so and can a 450 engine be replaced with a 350 engine with out major modifications?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** engine number for the used engine is incomplete but if the engine number begins with 116 it came from a 3.8 liter Mercedes. Your original engine was a 4.5 liter. Yes it is possible to make the switch but they should have told you what they were doing before replacing the motor with a smaller displacement motor. Usually the only difference between the 2 motors aside from the displacement is the oil filter housings. The housings can be transferred between motors.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Was my answer helpful?

Marty