Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I've been advised by a very good non factory Mercedes

Customer Question

I've been advised by a very good non factory Mercedes specialty repair shop to look for SL500 between 1999 and 2002. He felt that there is good value for the money in these years, also diagnostics are good beginning in these years. Pulled up listingallcars.com and found 25. I'm surprised by the variety of options listed per car. I'd like to find the standard and optional listings the factory offered for these years? Also any major problems I should be wary of with these years? Any other pertinent advice that would be helpful in my search would be appreciated?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi,welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** mechanic is correct in his opinion of the later model Mercedes. The only rap against the 99 model and up was the reduced horsepower but I really don't consider that to be a problem. The biggest concern on an SL is the hydraulics for the roof system. It is not uncommon for all of the hydraulics to need to be replaced as the cars get older. It would be nice if you could find an SL that has had the cylinders replaced recently. I was not able to find an option list on the SL but I did locate a couple of good articles on the differences from year to year. I've attached links below. I think any car that you are serious about buying should be inspected by a Mercedes specialist. The technician will check for things like brake wear, bushing and mount wear, oil leakage and overall vehicle condition. Reply back to me with any particular questions you have on the cars and I will be glad to help.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sl/r129history.htm

http://benzwiki.com/index.php?title=R129

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Was my answer helpful?

Marty