Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My 2002 ML500 instrument panel is dead as it is shorting

Customer Question

My 2002 ML500 instrument panel is dead as it is shorting out. My mechanic, who just did $3500 or work on the car, suggested the short is being caused by the blower fan. He "fixed it", but it only worked for an hour or so. I think I got screwed by the guy. Any suggestions?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

What work was originally performed for the $3500, was it related to dash removal, instrument cluster, or ac system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The work performed was related to the brake system and other mechanical issues, although as a part of the service he did replace some of the filters for the filtration system. I hope that this helps. I could scan the work order and attach as a PDF if that would help you isolate the problem.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

If you could it may help because just on the face of it, I dont see anything he did coming near the back of the instrument cluster or climate control system to cause a dead short that is blowing the instrument cluster/ac system fuse. But some of the other mechanical work he did that is listed in the repair order may shed more light on the area of the vehicle he worked on and if there is any relation at all

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the invoice. It's obvious to me that something related to the work caused this as it only started the day after he finished the repairs, and I've owned this car for 5 years.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Sorry for the delay, my computer froze up.

Ok, reviewing the work order, then going thru all the diagrams, it is obvious that he damaged the wiring at the blower motor, located next to the cabin air filter he replace(see attached diagram with wiring circled in red next to the filter).

He either crimped, pinched, cut, chafed or broke a wire. His repair of this was either shoddy and is still shorting, which means a new harness pigtail is needed, or the original short damaged the blower motor and it has a dead short in it now and needs to be replace

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric,I don't know where to find the blower motor based upon your image. Where is it and the wiring circled in red located? Sorry for the dumb question.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

It is underneath the passenger side of the dash. Give me a moment and I will post directions

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, directions attached -there is a trim cover piece underneath the passenger side of the dash. You remove it and you will see the bottom of the blower motor and cabin air filter cover and the wiring I circled in the first photo I sent

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured that out before you sent the images. Everything looks good down there, unfortunately. I'm thinking I should unplug the blower motor, replace the 15 amp fuse and see if everything lights up. If so, then I'll order a replacement blower and put it in myself. In that regard, as I'm going to sell this car, I'm assuming an aftermarket blower motor will work OK? After all, they are about $50 instead of $450! Let me know ASAP.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Sorry for the delay, been having computer problems all morning and afternoon. finally gave up and went and bought a new one

Yes, an aftermarket one will work as long as it is designed to fit yours so it bolts up