Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 87 mbz 560 sl....car starts cold perfectly...if out

Customer Question

i have a 87 mbz 560 sl....car starts cold perfectly...if out and about the car just stalls and dies....does not restart right away but eventually will...scary on the roads of LA...also, when starting cold its fine..if drive for 20 min and turn off and run errand you must apply the gas pedal quite a bit....my indie mechanic thinks its transmission buy in doing research I think its fuel related...can you help...one other quirk is gas gauge stop working and must fiddle with key in ignition to get A/C to work...could it be ignition/electrical? ideas? many thanks Craig
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Craig, I cannot imagine why your mechanic thinks you have a transmission problem. There is nothing in your description that would lead me to think there is a problem with the transmission. It would be a lot easier if I called and went over all of these problems with you on the phone. I've sent you a phone offer if you would like to discuss this.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you but I thought I paid for an answer....Im a little confused with all the pop up ads for more payment options??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marty...hi there...can you more clearly explain how the pricing on this service works... I am totally confused by all the potential additional fees? thx Craig
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Craig, sorry for the wait I was driving home from work.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

We can continue in this chat forum if you prefer but a phone call is much faster and I can cover a lot more with you. You have multiple issues that need to be addressed.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

For the intermittent stalling the common faults are the fuel pump relay and the ignition control module.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

For the gas gauge it's most likely a bad fuel level sending unit in the tank.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

For the a/c blower problem you will need to replace the ignition switch.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

For the restart problem after driving you probably have a bad fuel accumulator.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to talk on the phone. Please note that I do not get paid anything from the website until you click on a rating for my service.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marty thanks for all above but I have asked you 3 times re how the fees work...?? it's unclear what I am committing to..thx
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

I just answer Mercedes questions Craig. You should contact customer service for absolute clarification of the fees. I do know that there is an additional $18 fee for the phone call in addition to what you have already paid. If you would rather continue in this format it's fine with me. We can cover a lot more with a phone call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Marty...I just don't understand the fee schedule...you want me to pay an additional $18 to chat with you on top of the $31 I have committed to? shouldn't you know about the fee of $18 dollars as you suggested the call...this is so odd..
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

The fees do not come from me. If we stay in this chat format you are only charged the initial $31. If you accept the phone call offer there is an additional $18 fee.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the confusion.