Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I own a 2003 sl500. When you put the top up it goes all the

Customer Question

I own a 2003 sl500. When you put the top up it goes all the way to the lock spot without locking the top and then you just hear the pump running and nothing else happens. All the windows seem to be working correctly.The trunk lid is still open and the flaps are still in their top down position. Before this happened I removed the headliner and discovered the locking actuator was leaking. I refilled the pump tank in the trunk and the top was working fine until the fluid got to low. Refilled and worked again. Then problem appeared.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Did you ever repair the locking actuator that was leaking? Eventually a leak, even though you refill the hydraulic fluid, weakens the component until it no longer will function properly

If you can provide the last 8 digits of the vin number, I can pull up schematics and any testing procedure needed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought one but have not installed it yet. I was hoping to find a way to get the top up and trunk closed for now. Until I had time. I only filled it twice but it never came close to going empty at any time. I only put the top down to look at what it was going to take to start replacing the actuator. The top goes up and down but trunk won't close and flaps are extended. Is there a way to some how get this closed and left up until repair is made? The pump works fine. Something is preventing the flaps from retracting. I won't be able to get vehicle number until late tomorrow.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I have attached the procedure for closing and securing the roof manually

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,
Let me rephrase the question. The trunk will open and the top goes up all the way. But wont latch and lock unless I do it manually with an allen wrench. At that point everything stops the trunk lid stays open and the flaps are still extended. I need to know how I can retract the flaps and close and latch the trunk. The info you sent me does not help.
Randy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last eight of vin number are 3f019978